New Seahawks RB Adrian Peterson: "I Can Still Compete At A High Level"

shree kulkarni
0



Seahawks RB Adrian Peterson: "I'm still capable of competing at a high level"


Adrian Peterson, who will be inducted into the Hall of Fame next year, is still confident he can help the Seahawks offense despite being 36 and in his 15th NFL season.


Twenty years ago, Pete Carroll visited Palestine High School in East Texas to try to convince Adrian Peterson to attend USC.


After a close decision, Peterson chose Oklahoma, where he went on to become an All-American running back, eventually being selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the first round.

"I remember being in class when the coach came down and said, 'Hey, there's a coach here to see you,'" Peterson remembered. "We had a two-story high school, and the coach's position was the last window, and it missed the basketball court. I walked up, I was on the following level, walk nearby to the athletic office and he was like, "He's down there." I look and I see a guy with white hair shooting jumpers and shooting threes. 


Being from East Texas and knowing a lot about Pete Carroll, it was very real to me when I got to USC. Here he was in little Palestine, Texas, recruiting me. I remember just talking to him and hearing his spiel. I ultimately made an official visit out there to USC. It didn't work out, but my family knows it was a very special time for me. Oklahoma just had a little more perks when it came to being closer to home, my daughter, being near Dallas. I had a lot of families there. If Oklahoma had been on the east coast, I probably would have gone to USC."


Tune in to The Seahawks Insiders Podcast

The Seahawks Insiders podcast, hosted by sideline reporter Jen Mueller and Seahawks.com's John Boyle, provides an in-depth analysis of the previous week's game and a preview of the next game. You can find them on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, and anywhere else you might listen to podcasts.


The Seahawks didn't get their guy back then, but now, years after Carroll's failure, Peterson has joined the Seahawks as a member of the practice squad. Although a lot of time has passed, Peterson is confident that, even after 15 years in the NFL, he still can help Seattle's offense.


Peterson said before his first practice with the Seahawks, "I feel like I can still compete at a high level." It's the most rewarding thing when I get the chance to help teams, when I see players who tell me to just keep doing what you're doing, it's inspiring. I saw Mark Ingram when he was in Tennessee and he said, 'Bro, get your shoulders low man. What are you doing?' I said, 'I know.' Then he said, 'But you're inspiring me, man.'



 When I got released and picked up by Seattle, he was one of the first people to text me saying the same thing. Stay inspiring. "That, and chasing championships... If I had let people decide, I would have retired five or six years ago. "



It's One Of The Most Rewarding Things To Help Teams And Inspire Players - Adrian Peterson Thursday Press Conference.


Despite rushing for 82 yards and a touchdown on 27 carries, Peterson felt like he was just getting his legs under him when he was released by the Titans two weeks ago despite being a free agent and signing with the Titans after Derrick Henry went on injured reserve. 


"I don't think I showed much in Tennessee, but before I got released, I had a feeling like my legs were under me again," he said. It seemed like the Patriots week was the week I was going to blossom. However, I was released. I think I have a lot to contribute to the run game and inspire the young guys. When they see me out there pretty much going full speed during a walkthrough 14 years in, that'll make them pick up their tempo a little more. I think I can contribute to the running back room and help get this running game going."



The Seahawks can elevate Peterson for up to two games without adding him to the roster, or sign him to the roster at any time since he is currently on the practice squad. After only a couple of days of practice, Peterson was asked if he would be ready to compete this weekend. He replied, "That's a goal for me. It's a goal for me, but I'm sure the coaches and staff will make that decision."


Additionally, Peterson can help the Seahawks by serving as an example to younger players of how a Hall of Fame-caliber player conducts himself. 

The way he treats the game, how he practices, how he respects the game... he's a true pro," said quarterback Russell Wilson. "I was down here last night late into the night, but he was still here when I got back."


LATEST NEWS: 


Tamil Nadu Omicron: 27 students of private school in Tiruppur test COVID positive, 2 hospitalised
Provided by LNTH News

Post a Comment

0Comments

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have

Post a Comment (0)